Tuition is linked to the award of academic credit. Because we will continue with instruction in an online format and award credit as earned, there will be no refunds for tuition. Pro-rated refunds for room and board will be issued for students who are currently living and dining on campus and leave Grinnell. Pro-rated refunds for room and board will be activated by submission of the survey Student Affairs requested of all students. Those students who do not have access to the resources required to travel home or another destination where they will live for the spring term should visit the Financial Aid Office where an expedited refund process can be initiated. A financial aid officer will assess any additional, unmet need, and utilize emergency funds to assist with transportation costs as necessary. The precise amount that a student will be reimbursed will depend upon a number of factors unique to them. A credit will be placed on the student’s account and a check will be issued for any balance due to the student. If it is important for you to have this information or this reimbursement before leaving campus, please visit the Financial Aid Office immediately.
Room and Board Reductions
Update: March 18, 2020
Student Financial Services processed urgent prorated room and board reductions and will soon begin processing reductions for all the other students also leaving campus by March 23rd. The expected adjustment is a 47% reduction in the Spring 2020 Room and Board charges.
Please note all of the following regarding refunds:
- The current student account balance will determine the amount of the refund, if any, after charge(s) are reduced.
- If the current balance is greater than the reduction in charges, the balance due will be reduced.
- If the current balance is less than the reduction in charges, a refund will be issued.
- If direct deposit information is not already on file, we encourage you to submit it by March 23rd. Use our secure site to upload the form.
- If you do not have direct deposit information on file, a paper check will be mailed to your home address.
- If you would prefer the credit balance remain on your student account to be applied to next fall’s charges, you must request that we hold those funds.
- Credit balances will be refunded beginning the week of March 30th unless you request that it be held on the account.
Students in Approved Off-Campus Living Arrangements
For those previously approved to live off-campus for the entire term and purchased a meal plan, the option is now available to discontinue the plan and receive a prorated reduction as well. Please contact Student Accounts by March 23rd to make this request.