This weekend, Grinnellians welcome students’ families as young and old gather for our annual Family Weekend, Friday, Sept. 27–29, 2013.
Family Weekend 2013 gives families a chance to learn more about the College and town, meet their students’ friends, check out the dining hall, pick up Grinnell gear at the bookstore, sit in on classes, and visit informally with faculty.
- Campus offices offer drop-in visits and information session for those wanting to learn more about careers, admission and financial aid, off-campus study, religion and spirituality at the College, and the many student support services offered at Grinnell.
- Families can get a taste of academic life with class visits, student poster sessions in the Noyce Science Center and Rosenfield Center, presentations by student artists, and trips to the Conard Environmental Research Center and the observatory.
- Sports fans can cheer on their favorite athletes in water polo, golf, soccer, and football.
- Fitness buffs can stretch their legs with yoga or Zumba, work out in the fitness center, scale the rock wall, take one of several tours of the town and campus, or have fun in the bouncy castle.
- Arts enthusiasts can visit galleries across campus and performances by comedians and musicians — including jazz, a cappella, choir, orchestra, and an outdoor music fest. Visiting this weekend: Upright Citizens Brigade and The Kenny Garrett Quintet.
- Those looking for spiritual uplift can attend Gumma Prayer, Kabbalat Shabbat, meditation, and an interdenominational service on campus, as well as services at local religious institutions.
- In town, visitors can find the Grinnell farmer's market, a raku pottery-making workshop, and many dining opportunities. Ask a student to share their "must-see" attractions.
- Famillies can support local organizations through fundraisers for the hospital’s Blue Jean Ball, a breakfast benefit at Grinnell Regional Airport, and a local church group offering overnight lodgings in family homes to support a non-profit serving children and families in central Iowa.
- Knitters can support South African children by joining the Knit-a-Square at Bob’s Underground Café on South Campus.
When the weekend is done, family members return home with an increased understanding of what continues to make Grinnell special for so many generations of students.
The Family Weekend schedule is also available on your smart phone through Involvio. Go tohttp://involvio.com to download the free app today. Simply select Grinnell College, choose the “Family Weekend 2013” orientation, and then pick your desired track. In the event of any weather-related cancelations or location switches, notifications will be pushed out through Involvio as well as listed at the Family Weekend Registration and Information Desk (located in the Rosenfield Center lobby).