In his role as Associate Vice President for Analytic Support and Institutional Research, Randy Stiles supports teaching and learning outcomes assessment, enrollment management, and other administrative program analyses, all of which are part of the continuous strategic thinking, planning and action at Grinnell College. Prior to this appointment, Randy served as Special Advisor for the President, Analytics and Vice President for Information Management at Colorado College with responsibilities for both IT Services and Institutional Research. He has also served as a tenured faculty member at the U.S. Air Force Academy where he taught courses in aeronautics and behavioral science and led the Academy's teaching, learning, and research center – the Center for Educational Excellence. Randy has authored numerous papers and articles on both technical matters and pedagogy and is co-author of a book on aircraft design.
He has also served as a member of the EDUCAUSE Board of Directors, Chair of the Consortium of Liberal Arts Colleges, and is an experienced Peer-Reviewer, team leader, and Academy Mentor for the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Randy is an American Council on Education Fellow and holds B.S and M.S. degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from the University of Illinois, an M.B.A. from Northeastern University, and a Ph.D. in aeronautical engineering from Purdue University.
Skills and Interests
- Building support for a data-informed decision making culture on campus with a particular emphasis on bridging with continuous strategic planning at Grinnell.
- Guiding the ongoing development of the research agenda for the office.
- Bridging with Grinnell’s Senior Staff.
- Incorporating analytics, mixed methods, and statistical learning into the work of our office.
- Collaborative work on campus and beyond with EDUCAUSE, the Associated Colleges of the Midwest (ACM), the Higher Learning Commission, the Association of Institutional Research (AIR) and the Higher Education Data Sharing Consortium (HEDS).