For nearly four decades, the Scholars' Convocation series has created a common educational experience shared by the entire Grinnell College community. Established in the late 1970s in response to the college's move to an open curriculum, the accessible interdisciplinary nature of convocation offers an intellectual encounter that transcends disciplinary boundaries.
Scholars' Convocations are arranged by a faculty committee. If you are planning or are interested in planning a Scholars' Convocation, please see Scholars' Convocation Proposals.
All Scholars' Convocations are held at noon on Wednesdays throughout the academic year in the Joe Rosenfield '25 Center, Room 101, unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 10: Micah Zenko (Rosenfield Symposium-Drones)
- Sept. 17: Raynard Kington: President's Convocation
- Sept. 24: Tara Zahra (Emigration from Eastern Europe)
- Oct. 15: Mark Jordan (Theology, Church History, and Sexuality)
- Nov. 12: Michael Latham: Dean's Convocation
- Feb. 4: Rosenfield Chicago Symposium
- April 1: Project Implicit Speaker
- April 8: Alison Bechdel (LGBT Literature/Art)
- April 22: Erica Lehrer '92 (Post-Conflict Memory, Ethnography)
- April 29: Phi Beta Kappa Convocation