Comedian, political satirist, and host of CNN's 'United Shades of America' will perform a show both humorous and thought-provoking at 6 p.m. Tues. Feb 28.
Center for the Humanities
Greetings! I am very proud to direct the Center for the Humanities at Grinnell.
We are pretty unique among centers at small liberal arts colleges, itself a group small in number, in that we support faculty scholarship, cosponsor events across campus, support community organizations, and put on our own slate of programming each year.
As such, the Center is evidence of Grinnell’s incredible commitment to the humanities as a crucial component of a liberal arts education.
We are always looking to partner with others to show just how valuable the humanities are to our community. Please be in touch if you would like the Center to partner on event. We hope to see you at our gatherings and events throughout the year!
Connect to the humanities with research and scholarship, interdisciplinary studies, and more.
Theme 2016-17: Rethinking Global Cultures
In this year’s speaker series, we will explore the work of scholars who have reconceptualized cultures on a global dimension, giving us a new perspective on intellectual borrowings, geographic roamings, transfer and exchange of knowledge, relationships of power, and the less known lives of communities, societies, and marginal groups.
- February 1, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Solera
- Conversation in the Humanities, Faculty/Staff only, RSVP required.
- February 19, 2 p.m., Harris Center Cinema
- Film Showing: "Trials of Spring"
- Guest speaker: Hend Nafie
- February 20, 7 p.m., Harris Center Cinema
- Film Showing: "Mustang"
- February 21, 7 p.m., Harris Center Cinema
- Film Showing: "The Pearl Button"
- February 22, 7:30 p.m., Rosenfield Center, Room 101
- Film Festival Keynote Speaker: Kathleen Newman,
- Liaison for Crossing Borders Fellowship Program, University of Iowa
- “Cinema, Mobility, Global Society: A Latin Americanist Perspective”
- March 1, 7:30 p.m., Rosenfield Center, Room 101
- Mimi Sheller, Professor of Sociology; Director of the Center for Mobilities Research and Policy, Drexel University
- "Uneven Mobility Futures: Inequality, Justice, and Power"
- April 11, 7:30 p.m., Rosenfield Center, Room 101
- Khurram Hussain