Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find information on employee benefits not listed on this web site?

As an employee of Grinnell College, you have exclusive opportunities and access to special programs that, although beneficial, are coordinated by departments other than HR, Compensation, and Benefits and Insurance. You may learn more about these "extras" by accessing the links/information below.

Refer to the Staff Employee Handbook or the Faculty Handbook for more information.

Bargaining unit employees may obtain a union-employee guide from the Facilities Management Office at641-269-3300.

Campus Parking - contact Campus Safety & Security at x4600

Dual Career Network - contact the Office of Human Resources at x4818 or hr[at]grinnell[dot]edu

Family Medical Leave Act - contact the Office of Human Resources at x4818 or hr[at]grinnell[dot]edu

Pioneer One-Card - contact Barb Shell at x3661 or shell[at]grinnell[dot]edu

Shipping of personal mail and stamp purchases - contact Mail Services at x3421

Live Well Grinnell - Contact Jennifer Jacobsen, Wellness Director at 641-269-3828 or jacobsen[at]grinnell[dot]edufor

Tuition Reimbursement Guidelines (under Educational Assistance) - contact Jim Mulholland, Compensation Director & Assistant Treasurer at x9600

Volunteer Initiatives Program - Contact the Office of Community Enhancement at 641-269-3900

I see information about the Tuition Remission benefit for dependents on this web site, but not Tuition Reimbursement. Where can I find out how to apply for educational assistance?

The tuition remission benefit, which is administered under Compensation, Benefits and Insurance, is often confused with tuition reimbursement, a program for employees who are enrolled in educational programs at approved colleges or universities other than Grinnell College. The Office of Human Resources coordinates and maintains the Tuition Reimbursement program. Click here for Tuition Reimbursement Guidelines from the Office of Human Resources.

I'm a faculty member about to go on sabbatical. Where can I access information about how a leave from the institution affects my benefits or insurance plans?

Refer to the Faculty Handbook, maintained by the Dean of the College Office, for more information on benefits and insurance during faculty sabbaticals and other leaves of absence.

For additional questions about Benefits and Insurance, contact: Jana Johnson, HR Generalist at 269-4822 / johnsonj[at]grinnell[dot]eduStacy Koehler, HR Generalist, at 269-4823 / koehlers[at]grinnell[dot]edu, or

Jim Mulholland, Assistant Treasurer 269-4830 / mulholla[at]grinnell[dot]edu

How do increases in benefits affect the overall budget?

The base budget covers increases (sometimes substantial ones) in the cost of health and dental insurance as well as the increased costs of TIAA-CREF to provide retirement benefits, FICA, life insurance, and long-term disability insurance which result from increased wages and salaries.

Where can I find more information about the Wellmark BluePrints for Health program?

Wellmark Blueprints for Health FAQs