Benjamin Doehr ’15 spent his summer lighting up Frank N. Furter, Magenta, Brad, and Janet.
Theatre and Dance
You can embrace all aspects of the dramatic arts here. Majors and nonmajors dance; act; direct; design; write; choreograph; stage-manage; and design and build sets, props, and costumes. You collaborate with experienced faculty, renowned choreographers, and multitalented fellow students in facilities that include Roberts Theatre, a recording studio, performance lab, dance studio, and costume studio.
The Wall Performance Lab black box theatre was revamped as part of the Bucksbaum renovation and has since been used more for experimental and student work. Performances can usually seat up to 72 people.
The Roberts Theatre semi-thrust stage, seating 450, was renovated and restored under the design of Cesar Pelli and Associates (New Haven, CT). The project was completed in 2000.
For more information about the Roberts Theatre please call the Technical Director at 641-269-3130.
GRINNELL, IA—The Grinnell College Department of Theatre and Dance will premiere the U.S. production of “The Contingency Plan” by British playwright Steve Waters, Oct. 7-10, in Flanagan Arena Theatre in the Bucksbaum Center for the Arts on the Grinnell campus.
Parking and Access
Bucksbaum Center for the Arts is located at the corner of Park Street and 6th Avenue. On-street parking is available on the east side of Park Street between 5th and 8th Avenues and in visitor spots around campus. Accessible parking is available in the cul-de-sac off 6th Avenue. See Maps and Directions for more information.
Recital Hall and Rehearsal Rooms
Sebring-Lewis Hall in the Bucksbaum Center has elevated Grinnell's musical performance tradition by providing an intimate, accessible, and acoustically responsive space. Well suited for student and faculty recitals and concerts, the recital hall preserves and enhances the College's level of musical excellence. Student performers test their skills here, and students in the audience discover new musical interests as they are exhilarated by listening to live music.
- Square feet of recital hall: 4,050
- Seating capacity of recital hall: 348
- Type of stage floor: tongue-in-groove, cherry
- Portable seated risers
- Two Green Rooms
- Sound-isolated control room
- Separate rehearsal spaces for large ensembles, early music, and non-Western instruments
- Square feet of early music hall: 1,125
- Square feet of ethno music hall: 940
- Square feet of large ensemble rehearsal room: 1,940
The Faulconer Gallery is an inspiring aesthetic experience. It also offers a valuable learning and teaching experience for students, faculty, and the campus community.
- Square feet of gallery space: 7,420
- Climate control system
- Flexible and functional exhibition space for diverse artistic genres
- Special reception desk, which reflects the shape of the building
- Five lighting zones, ranging from natural to five-foot candles
- Square feet of storage space: 1,870
- Square feet of workshop space: 725
- Square feet of packing and preparation area: 1,200
Theatres and Dance Studio
The theatre component of the Bucksbaum Center allows for innovation and the means to enhance Grinnell's theatre tradition. The Flanagan Studio Theatre provides students and faculty with space for experimentation and refinement. Built to be flexible, the studio theatre allows for multiple seating arrangements and lighting possibilities.
- Square feet of studio theatre: 2,000
- Seating capacity of studio theatre: variable, 120 maximum
- Square feet of scene shop: 3,200 with paint area
- Square feet of dance studio: 1,170
- Dedicated dust collection system in scene shop
- Number of major power tools: 10 including table saw, radial arm saw, drill press
- Ceiling height in scene shop: 20 feet
- Sprung floor in Roberts Theatre, properly constructed for dance
- Separate welding room
- Circuiting systems for lighting
- House light system
- Upgraded lighting and sound systems
- Costume shop with separate dye, wash, and spray rooms
- Sound/recording studio
- One Green Room
- Dressing and make-up rooms
A ceramics studio, a sculpture studio, a printmaking studio, a painting studio, and several multipurpose studios optimize faculty and student interaction. Students are no longer turned away from studio art courses because of a lack of space. In addition, art studios for visiting artists attract speakers and artists from around the nation, giving students exposure to a variety of artistic styles and techniques.
- Number of art studios: 11
- Square feet of faculty art studios: 500
- Square feet of sculpture studio: 2,200
- Square feet of ceramics studio: 2,200
- Square feet of multipurpose studio: 1,750
- Square feet of printmaking studio: 2,400
- Square feet of painting studio: 1,930
- Square feet of drawing studio: 1,760
- Track lighting in all studios
- Special air handling and exhaust systems
- Separate welding room
- Separate kiln room
- Art computer room
Music Practice, Classroom, and Lab Spaces
The Bucksbaum Center offers an environment that accommodates students and fulfills educational needs. Students have access to technologies that aid teaching and learning, including an electronic music laboratory, a multimedia arts laboratory, and a CD-ROM library of audio and visual materials.
- Total number of music practice rooms: 15
- Square feet for practice rooms: varies from 50 to 250
- Largest practice room: percussion
- Special rooms for percussion, harp, and two-piano practice
- Square feet of electronic music studio: 500
- Thirteen-station music keyboard and computer lab
- Multimedia production laboratory
- Floor, ceiling, and wall treatments for sound isolation
- Special software and hardware for music notation, ear training, and group keyboard instruction
- Audio-, video-, and computer-equipped classrooms and seminar rooms
- Climate control system for instrument storage