The facility includes refurbished teaching and research laboratories, classroom and office space, a science library, a computer laboratory, and several study areas. The addition connects two of the wings with a courtyard in between. The building houses the departments of biology, chemistry, mathematics and computer science, physics, and psychology. Containing modern scientific equipment and instrumentation, the facility has laboratories, classrooms, and seminar rooms, which are equipped with electronic and other modern instructional tools. The building also houses the Kistle Science Library and the Physics Historical Museum. In the northeast section of the building, a greenhouse is used as an instructional and research facility.
Director Joan Mohan provides individual and small-group instruction to help students: strengthen verbal skills, emphasizing critical comprehension and vocabulary; improve reading efficiency; acquire more effective study strategies (such as managing time, concentrating, remembering, test-taking); improve ESL (English as a Second Language) proficiency and pronunciation. The Reading Lab is located at 1321 Park Street, across from Younker Hall.
The Grant O. Gale Observatory is located at the extreme north end of the campus. It is reached by a road located just to the west of the tennis courts on 10th Avenue.
The Benjamin J. and Mabel T. Ricker House was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin in 1911 and completed in 1912. It was the first of seven houses the Griffins designed for Iowa clients, six of which were built and the other five of which are in Mason City. Ricker House was purchased by Grinnell College in 2000 and is operated as a short-term residence for guests of the College.