Located in the lower level of the John Chrystal Center, the JCC Gallery presents several visual art exhibitions throughout the year.
The new Fitness Center is a multi-floored 8,000 square foot facility that includes brand new cardiovascular and strength equipment. The upper floor of the Fitness Center, approximately 2,500 square feet, holds 26 pieces of cardio equipment, a stretching mat, dumbbells, medicine balls, and exercise balls. The cardio equipment includes the following:
- 6 Life Fitness Cross Trainers
- 6 Cybex Arc Trainers
- 6 Life Fitness Treadmills
- 3 Life Fitness Upright Bikes
- 3 Life Fitness Recumbent Bikes
- 2 Life Fitness Stair Steppers
- 2 Concept 2 Rowers
The lower floor, about 5,500 square feet, holds all of the strength equipment. The strength equipment includes:
- 6 Power Lift Double-Sided Combo Racks
- 15 Life Fitness Selectorized Machines
- 20 Pieces of Assorted Strength Equipment - Made by Power Lift, Life Fitness, and Hammer Strength
The lower level also includes dedicated areas for stretching, abdominal work, and plyometric work. In addition to the exercise equipment, the Fitness Center also showcases a state of the art stereo system and seven flat screen televisions for the upper floor.
This grassy area between The Forum, Bucksbaum Center for the Arts, Herrick Chapel, and Noyce Science Center offers an ideal location for commencements and other ceremonies.
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Wheelchair Accessible Bathroom (Same Level)
- Audio - Cassette Player
- Computer - Mac/Windows
- Data Projection
- DVD/CD Player (International)
- Laser Disc Player
- Microphone - Wireless Handheld and Lapel
- Network/Internet Access
- Projection Screen
- Projector - 16mm Film
- Projector - 35mm Slide
- Satellite Down-link Capable
- Transparency Overhead Proj
- VCR (International)
- Video Feed Available From AV Center
- Electrical Outlets (Per Plug) (18)
- Carpet Flooring
- Instructor Station
- Lighting - Variable
- Seating - Chairs (8), Tiered Fixed Chairs (158)
- Table - 8-foot (Monroe)
- Windows - Darkening (20)
Grinnell's natatorium is part of the Charles Benson Bear '39 Recreation and Athletic Center that was completed in 2010. The natatorium reflects the latest technology and design, offering swimmers a magnificent place to compete, train, or pursue personal fitness goals. The flexibility of the facility is one of its greatest strengths. Two movable bulkheads can reshape the pool for different purposes. The pool and deck portion of the natatorium were named after former Grinnell College president Russell K. Osgood in October 2010. The natatorium is connected to Darby Gym and the fieldhouse via an underground link and features:
- Fifty-meter by 25-yard pool
- Competition configuration of diving well, ten 25-yard lanes, and shallow warm-up area
- Daily use provides nineteen 25-yard lap lanes
- Two one-meter and two three-meter diving boards on concrete platform
- Diving well (13 feet deep)
- Two bulkheads to transform the pool into a multipurpose facility
- Shallow area that offers an area for water aerobics, kids, etc.
- Colorado Timing System
- State-of-the-art air exchange
- Seating areas for about 500 spectators
- Classroom near pool that seats 24
- Walk-down entry for spectators
- Quality audio system
- Two family changing rooms
Located in a natural bowl north of 10th Avenue, Rosenbloom Field was made possible by a gift from Virginia Whitney Rosenbloom '36 and Abe H. Rosenbloom '34. The Pioneers observed the occasion of the field's dedication on Oct. 4, 1975, by defeating Carleton 36-26. Rosenbloom Field has a seating capacity of 1,500. A former member of the Grinnell Advisory Board and other college committees, Abe Rosenbloom played football at Grinnell from 1931 to 1933. He played guard and was one of the Missouri Valley Conference's smallest gridders (5'6" and 170 pounds). He averaged more than 45 minutes a game playing time during a 24-game varsity career and was named to the Des Moines Register's all-Missouri Valley Conference squad in 1932 and 1933. On the south side of the field, a memorial recalls the 100th anniversary of the first intercollegiate football game played west of the Mississippi. The game took place on the Grinnell campus on Nov. 16, 1889. On the north side, a marker commemorates the first 50 years of football in the West, and recalls the same game, played in 1889, Grinnell College vs. the University of Iowa. Grinnell won, 24-0.
A former dining hall, the Quad Dining Hall is now used for various events such as dances, performances, and receptions.
Grinnell plays baseball on a complex just north and east of the President's residence. The field was renovated prior to the 2009 season. Highlights of the complex include a dirt warning track, black vinyl fencing, large dugouts, home and visitor bull pens, a double tunnel batting cage and bleacher seating for fans. Straightaway centerfield is 400 feet from home plate.
The Grinnell College softball team plays on one of the premier fields in the Midwest. Highlights of the complex, opened in the spring of 2002, include a subterranean drainage system in the infield and outfield, a dirt warning track, black vinyl fencing, heated dugouts, home and visitor bull pens, a double tunnel, artificial turf-surfaced batting cage, a heated media tower and permanent bleacher seating for two hundred fans. Although not part of the current construction, field lighting is also part of the long-term plan.