The Benjamin J. and Mabel T. Ricker House was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin in 1911 and completed in 1912. It was the first of seven houses the Griffins designed for Iowa clients, six of which were built and the other five of which are in Mason City. Ricker House was purchased by Grinnell College in 2000 and is operated as a short-term residence for guests of the College.
Grinnell College's heating plant provides warmth to more than 60 buildings on campus, including 19 residence halls. Until 2002, this served as both the heating and cooling plant for the College. The cooling function was moved, and the heating expanded to add capacity for the Joe Rosenfield Campus Center and East Campus residence halls.
Langan Hall features one kitchen and four student lounges, one of which includes a piano. The rooms are available as singles, doubles, and triples.
The largest South Campus residence hall, Loose Hall features laundry facilities, five kitchens, and two student lounges. The spacious Loose Lounge houses a piano, fireplace, television, and a variety of furniture easily adapted for meetings, events, and presentations. The rooms are assigned as singles, doubles, and triples, and gender neutral housing is available.
Main Hall serves as the central building of the South Campus residence halls, at the time of its opening, it included a beautiful drawing room, an inspiring Gothic dining room, and the Little Theatre. Gardner Lounge, in the basement of Main Hall, has hosted performances by Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, and more. Main Hall features one kitchen, a handicap-accessible elevator, laundry facilities, and three lounges, one of which contains a piano. The rooms are singles and doubles.
The chapel’s interior exhibits the timber-trussed vaulted ceiling typical of the spacious Perpendicular Gothic style. Also characteristic are the high clerestory windows, which admit more light than is the case in other church styles. Seating about 700 people (630 in the nave and 70 in the balcony), the chapel is in basilica form with a narthex or vestibule on the west, broad nave with a center aisle plus side columns and aisles, and apse at the east end.
Clark Hall features four student lounges and one kitchen. The rooms are assigned as singles, doubles, or triples.
Cleveland Hall features four student lounges, one kitchen, and a computer lab with a printer. Dorm rooms are available as singles and doubles.
Carnegie Hall, 1210 Park Street, is located north of Herrick Chapel. Dedicated June 13, 1905, the building is in modified Classical form with a low hipped roof, impressive cornice with dentils, red-brick walls, and quoins outlining window areas. The middle section of the facade is framed by two imposing pilasters with six engaged columns within the frame, the pilasters and columns all topped with Ionic capitals.
Read Hall features three student lounges, two kitchens, and a computer lounge with a printer. Rooms include singles, doubles, triples, and quads.