The Grant O. Gale Observatory is located at the extreme north end of the campus. It is reached by a road located just to the west of the tennis courts on 10th Avenue.
The Benjamin J. and Mabel T. Ricker House was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin in 1911 and completed in 1912. It was the first of seven houses the Griffins designed for Iowa clients, six of which were built and the other five of which are in Mason City. Ricker House was purchased by Grinnell College in 2000 and is operated as a short-term residence for guests of the College.
Grinnell College's heating plant provides warmth to more than 60 buildings on campus, including 19 residence halls. Until 2002, this served as both the heating and cooling plant for the College. The cooling function was moved, and the heating expanded to add capacity for the Joe Rosenfield Campus Center and East Campus residence halls.
The Center for Prairie Studies and the Grinnell College Libraries have collaborated in the installation of two dramatic photographs of prairie plants that have been hung on the first floor of Burling Library, on the east and west brick walls (south side). Created by the Land Institute in Salina, Kansas, these photographs portray the plants with their astonishing root systems that help the prairie survive fire, cold, and severe droughts like the one this year. We want to thank Milton Severe of Faulconer Gallery and the Facilities Management staff for their help with this project.
Managing over 100 sections of a college website is no simple task. Amongst the many issues there is access control, syndication of content across the entire site, and providing a consistent and meaningful structure for users. Luckily, Drupal 7 is able to satisfy these challenges and has been the choice of hundreds of Universities and Colleges worldwide.