Located in the lower level of Burling Library, the Burling Gallery presents exhibitions comprising works from the College's extensive collections of works on paper throughout the year. Summer hours begin May 19: Monday - Friday 8-5
The Wall Performance Lab black box theatre was revamped as part of the Bucksbaum renovation and has since been used more for experimental and student work. Performances can usually seat up to 72 people.
Sebring-Lewis Hall, opened in 1999, seats 338 people in a 4,050 square-foot space. It is the home of most music department performances and numerous guest artist events. One of the first ensembles to perform in the hall, the American String Quartet, described it as "one of the two or three best halls in the country for chamber music." The rich colors and cherry wood details in the hall make it as beautiful aesthetically as it is acoustically. Electrically adjustable curtains in the upper back of the hall allow for a tunable acoustic. A well-equipped control room and numerous computer data and sound connection points within the hall itself allow Sebring-Lewis to accommodate experimental computer music as well as chamber and ensemble performances.
The Faulconer Gallery in Bucksbaum presents exhibitions year-round, ranging from the annual Student Art Salon to traveling exhibitions from world-renowned artists. Students work with the gallery’s professional staff as interns, gallery attendants, and arts outreach providers for the community. Classes often examine the College's art collection in the Print and Drawing Study Room in Burling Library, and may curate exhibitions drawn from the collection.
Located in the lower level of the John Chrystal Center, the JCC Gallery presents several visual art exhibitions throughout the year.
The new Fitness Center is a multi-floored 8,000 square foot facility that includes brand new cardiovascular and strength equipment. The upper floor of the Fitness Center, approximately 2,500 square feet, holds 26 pieces of cardio equipment, a stretching mat, dumbbells, medicine balls, and exercise balls. The cardio equipment includes the following:
- 6 Life Fitness Cross Trainers
- 6 Cybex Arc Trainers
- 6 Life Fitness Treadmills
- 3 Life Fitness Upright Bikes
- 3 Life Fitness Recumbent Bikes
- 2 Life Fitness Stair Steppers
- 2 Concept 2 Rowers
The lower floor, about 5,500 square feet, holds all of the strength equipment. The strength equipment includes:
- 6 Power Lift Double-Sided Combo Racks
- 15 Life Fitness Selectorized Machines
- 20 Pieces of Assorted Strength Equipment - Made by Power Lift, Life Fitness, and Hammer Strength
The lower level also includes dedicated areas for stretching, abdominal work, and plyometric work. In addition to the exercise equipment, the Fitness Center also showcases a state of the art stereo system and seven flat screen televisions for the upper floor.
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Wheelchair Accessible Bathroom (Same Level)
- Audio - Cassette Player
- Computer - Mac/Windows
- Data Projection
- DVD/CD Player (International)
- Laser Disc Player
- Microphone - Wireless Handheld and Lapel
- Network/Internet Access
- Projection Screen
- Projector - 16mm Film
- Projector - 35mm Slide
- Satellite Down-link Capable
- Transparency Overhead Proj
- VCR (International)
- Video Feed Available From AV Center
- Electrical Outlets (Per Plug) (18)
- Carpet Flooring
- Instructor Station
- Lighting - Variable
- Seating - Chairs (8), Tiered Fixed Chairs (158)
- Table - 8-foot (Monroe)
- Windows - Darkening (20)
Grinnell's natatorium is part of the Charles Benson Bear '39 Recreation and Athletic Center that was completed in 2010. The natatorium reflects the latest technology and design, offering swimmers a magnificent place to compete, train, or pursue personal fitness goals. The flexibility of the facility is one of its greatest strengths. Two movable bulkheads can reshape the pool for different purposes. The pool and deck portion of the natatorium were named after former Grinnell College president Russell K. Osgood in October 2010. The natatorium is connected to Darby Gym and the fieldhouse via an underground link and features:
- Fifty-meter by 25-yard pool
- Competition configuration of diving well, ten 25-yard lanes, and shallow warm-up area
- Daily use provides nineteen 25-yard lap lanes
- Two one-meter and two three-meter diving boards on concrete platform
- Diving well (13 feet deep)
- Two bulkheads to transform the pool into a multipurpose facility
- Shallow area that offers an area for water aerobics, kids, etc.
- Colorado Timing System
- State-of-the-art air exchange
- Seating areas for about 500 spectators
- Classroom near pool that seats 24
- Walk-down entry for spectators
- Quality audio system
- Two family changing rooms
Located in a natural bowl north of 10th Avenue, Rosenbloom Field was made possible by a gift from Virginia Whitney Rosenbloom '36 and Abe H. Rosenbloom '34. The Pioneers observed the occasion of the field's dedication on Oct. 4, 1975, by defeating Carleton 36-26. Rosenbloom Field has a seating capacity of 1,500. A former member of the Grinnell Advisory Board and other college committees, Abe Rosenbloom played football at Grinnell from 1931 to 1933. He played guard and was one of the Missouri Valley Conference's smallest gridders (5'6" and 170 pounds). He averaged more than 45 minutes a game playing time during a 24-game varsity career and was named to the Des Moines Register's all-Missouri Valley Conference squad in 1932 and 1933. On the south side of the field, a memorial recalls the 100th anniversary of the first intercollegiate football game played west of the Mississippi. The game took place on the Grinnell campus on Nov. 16, 1889. On the north side, a marker commemorates the first 50 years of football in the West, and recalls the same game, played in 1889, Grinnell College vs. the University of Iowa. Grinnell won, 24-0.