A dozen local projects and initiatives will benefit from $31,223 in grant support this year from the Grinnell College Mini-Grant Program.
The program is just one of the ways that Community Enhancement and Engagement office strengthens community resources and educational opportunities, as well as enhances the safety, beauty, and economic vitality of Grinnell. The office also fosters community partnerships, and supports student and employee engagement in off-campus activities. The mini-grants have played an especially important role.
"We are very pleased to support a variety of community betterment initiatives through Grinnell College’s Community Mini-Grant Program," said Melissa Strovers, program and communications manager for community enhancement and engagement at Grinnell. "As demonstrated by the strong project proposals we received this year, we are extremely fortunate to live, work, and play in a place where people are genuinely committed to improving the quality of life of our local community."
The following initiatives received mini-grant funding for 2015:
- Grinnell Area Arts Council, for technology infrastructure upgrades ($3,500)
- Grinnell Community Daycare and Preschool, for diversity books and materials for classrooms ($1,000)
- Drake Community Library, for the digital preservation of slides and outdated media formats from the library archives ($3,045)
- Grinnell Fire Department, for technology upgrades ($3,350)
- Grinnell Historical Museum, for the safety improvements at the museum ($2,953)
- Grinnell Little League, for new player equipment ($2,500)
- Grinnell-Newburg Community School District, for the Grinnell Outdoor Adventure Program ($2,500)
- Grinnell-Newburg Community School District, for the Grinnell High School Library Makerspace ($2,000)
- Grinnell Regional Medical Center, for the Giving Gardens Project ($2,000)
- Grinnell UCC Community Preschool, for the Preschool Tiger Pack Program ($5,000)
- Imagine Grinnell, for bike racks for Summer Street Park, the Community Garden, and Downtown Grinnell ($2,500)
- Poweshiek Animal League Shelter (PALS) for donation boxes and pet beds ($875)