Home » Staff

Staff

Roberts Theatre

The Roberts Theatre semi-thrust stage, seating 450, was renovated and restored under the design of Cesar Pelli and Associates (New Haven, CT). The project was completed in 2000.

For more information about the Roberts Theatre please call the Technical Director at 641-269-3130.

Faulconer Gallery

The Faulconer Gallery in Bucksbaum presents exhibitions year-round, ranging from the annual Student Art Salon to traveling exhibitions from world-renowned artists. Students work with the gallery’s professional staff  as interns, gallery attendants, and arts outreach providers for the community. Classes often examine the College's art collection in the Print and Drawing Study Room in Burling Library, and may curate exhibitions drawn from the collection.

Fitness Center

The new Fitness Center is a multi-floored 8,000 square foot facility that includes brand new cardiovascular and strength equipment. The upper floor of the Fitness Center, approximately 2,500 square feet, holds 26 pieces of cardio equipment, a stretching mat, dumbbells, medicine balls, and exercise balls. The cardio equipment includes the following:

  • 6 Life Fitness Cross Trainers
  • 6 Cybex Arc Trainers
  • 6 Life Fitness Treadmills
  • 3 Life Fitness Upright Bikes
  • 3 Life Fitness Recumbent Bikes
  • 2 Life Fitness Stair Steppers
  • 2 Concept 2 Rowers

The lower floor, about 5,500 square feet, holds all of the strength equipment. The strength equipment includes:

  • 6 Power Lift Double-Sided Combo Racks
  • 15 Life Fitness Selectorized Machines
  • 20 Pieces of Assorted Strength Equipment - Made by Power Lift, Life Fitness, and Hammer Strength

The lower level also includes dedicated areas for stretching, abdominal work, and plyometric work. In addition to the exercise equipment, the Fitness Center also showcases a state of the art stereo system and seven flat screen televisions for the upper floor.

ARH 302 - Auditorium

Features

  • Wheelchair Accessible
  • Wheelchair Accessible Bathroom (Same Level)
  • Audio - Cassette Player
  • Chalkboard
  • Computer - Mac/Windows
  • Data Projection
  • DVD/CD Player (International)
  • Laser Disc Player
  • Microphone - Wireless Handheld and Lapel
  • Network/Internet Access
  • Projection Screen
  • Projector - 16mm Film
  • Projector - 35mm Slide
  • Satellite Down-link Capable
  • Transparency Overhead Proj
  • VCR (International)
  • Video Feed Available From AV Center
  • Clock
  • Electrical Outlets (Per Plug) (18)
  • Carpet Flooring
  • Instructor Station
  • Lectern/Podium
  • Lighting - Variable
  • Phone
  • Seating - Chairs (8), Tiered Fixed Chairs (158)
  • Stage
  • Table - 8-foot (Monroe)
  • Windows - Darkening (20)

Natatorium

Grinnell's natatorium is part of the Charles Benson Bear '39 Recreation and Athletic Center that was completed in 2010. The natatorium reflects the latest technology and design, offering swimmers a magnificent place to compete, train, or pursue personal fitness goals. The flexibility of the facility is one of its greatest strengths. Two movable bulkheads can reshape the pool for different purposes. The pool and deck portion of the natatorium were named after former Grinnell College president Russell K. Osgood in October 2010. The natatorium is connected to Darby Gym and the fieldhouse via an underground link and features:

  • Fifty-meter by 25-yard pool
  • Competition configuration of diving well, ten 25-yard lanes, and shallow warm-up area
  • Daily use provides nineteen 25-yard lap lanes
  • Two one-meter and two three-meter diving boards on concrete platform
  • Diving well (13 feet deep)
  • Two bulkheads to transform the pool into a multipurpose facility
  • Shallow area that offers an area for water aerobics, kids, etc.
  • Colorado Timing System
  • State-of-the-art air exchange
  • Seating areas for about 500 spectators
  • Classroom near pool that seats 24
  • Walk-down entry for spectators
  • Quality audio system
  • Two family changing rooms

Abe H. Rosenbloom Field

Located in a natural bowl north of 10th Avenue, Rosenbloom Field was made possible by a gift from Virginia Whitney Rosenbloom '36 and Abe H. Rosenbloom '34. The Pioneers observed the occasion of the field's dedication on Oct. 4, 1975, by defeating Carleton 36-26. Rosenbloom Field has a seating capacity of 1,500. A former member of the Grinnell Advisory Board and other college committees, Abe Rosenbloom played football at Grinnell from 1931 to 1933. He played guard and was one of the Missouri Valley Conference's smallest gridders (5'6" and 170 pounds). He averaged more than 45 minutes a game playing time during a 24-game varsity career and was named to the Des Moines Register's all-Missouri Valley Conference squad in 1932 and 1933. On the south side of the field, a memorial recalls the 100th anniversary of the first intercollegiate football game played west of the Mississippi. The game took place on the Grinnell campus on Nov. 16, 1889. On the north side, a marker commemorates the first 50 years of football in the West, and recalls the same game, played in 1889, Grinnell College vs. the University of Iowa. Grinnell won, 24-0.

ARH 102 - Kallaus Lecture Hall

Features

  • Wheelchair Accessible
  • Chalkboard (2)
  • Computer - Mac/Windows
  • Av: Data Projection
  • Document Camera
  • DVD/CD Player (International)
  • Laptop Ready
  • Wireless Handheld and Laper Microphones
  • Network/Internet Access
  • Projection Screen (2)
  • Projector - 35mm Slide
  • Sound System Interface
  • Transparency Overhead Proj
  • VCR (International)
  • Clock
  • Electrical Outlets (Per Plug) (18)
  • Carpet Flooring
  • Lectern/Podium
  • Lectern/Podium - Tabletop
  • Lighting - Dimmable, Variable
  • Phone
  • Seating - Chair
  • Seating - Tiered, Fixed Benches (38) (72 seats)
  • Table - Fixed, Rectangular Less than 8-feet (37)
  • Windows - Darkening (10)

Ward Field

Ward Field, now an open grassy area near the East Campus residence halls, was the site of the College's football stadium from 1911 to 1974. Ward Field itself was first used in 1893. The Ward Field football stadium was torn down in 1976 and the area was landscaped to provide one large, open area for playing fields. Ward Field also served for a time as the varsity men's soccer field.