More commonly known as German House, this college owned house is one of Grinnell’s five language houses. These houses are associated with their corresponding academic department. The purpose of the language house program is to provide students who speak, or are learning to speak, another language with an environment that is conducive to learning the language, culture, and customs of the country or countries of the language. To learn more about the language house program, visit the Residence Life Language Houses page.
Facilities Management is responsible for construction, operation and maintenance of the campus and college-owned properties. This includes custodial services for all academic buildings and student housing as well as heating and cooling, electricity, grounds, carpool and keys.
The mission of Facilities Management is to provide and maintain physical facilities which meet the current as well as future needs of the Grinnell College community, in support of the overall mission of the College.
1316 Park Street is a College-owned house. More commonly known as Spanish House, 1315 Park is one of Grinnell’s five language houses. These houses are associated with their corresponding academic department. The purpose of the language house program is to provide students who speak, or are learning to speak, another language with an environment that is conducive to learning the language, culture, and customs of the country or countries of the language. To learn more about the language house program, visit the Residence Life Language Houses page.
Each spring interested students will be able to sign up to live in Spanish House. The Spanish Assistant will always live in Spanish House and often other native speakers do so as well. Students who have been abroad or are planning to study off-campus have often taken advantage of this opportunity.
Preference to live in the house will be given to students who:
- are Spanish majors
- will be taking Spanish classes when living in the house
- will be studying abroad, in a Hispanic country, after living in the house
- are coming back from off-campus study in a Hispanic country
- are native speakers
- participate regularly in the activities offered by the Spanish Department and Spanish House
Gates Hall has 17 singles, 7 doubles, and 3 triples. It houses 41 students.
Gates Hall has two lounges. A study lounge is located in the pit, and a larger lounge with a television is located on the first floor.
Gates Hall has one kitchen which is located on the first floor. It has a stove, an oven, a microwave and a fridge.
A trunk room is located in Gates Pit, and can be used for storing articles.
Gates Hall has access to the laundry facilities in Younker and Dibble.
Residents of Gates have easy access to the computer labs in the North Campus dorms Norris and Younker.
A recycling facility is located on the first floor of Gates.
Read Hall features three student lounges, two kitchens, and a computer lounge with a printer. Rooms include singles, doubles, triples, and quads.
Norris Hall features air conditioning, a computer lab with a printer, one kitchen, and four student lounges, one of which contains a piano. The rooms are singles and doubles.
Dibble Hall features three student lounges, one kitchen, and laundry facilities. Dorm rooms are available as singles and doubles.
The chapel’s interior exhibits the timber-trussed vaulted ceiling typical of the spacious Perpendicular Gothic style. Also characteristic are the high clerestory windows, which admit more light than is the case in other church styles. Seating about 700 people (630 in the nave and 70 in the balcony), the chapel is in basilica form with a narthex or vestibule on the west, broad nave with a center aisle plus side columns and aisles, and apse at the east end. Above the latter area is a representation in stained glass of William Holman Hunt’s painting, "The Light of the World," and on the west side a rendering of Heinrich Hoffman’s “The Ascension.”
There is a bronze plaque in the vestibule honoring the 11 Congregational ministers who, as the Iowa Band, founded Iowa College in Davenport. A large marble plaque in the northwest corner of the nave contains the names of a number of Grinnell students who, as enlistees in the Union Army, died in the Civil War. Also of interest is the reredos, or carved wooden screen, gracing the space behind the altar. Although its exterior looks solid and strong, with Gothic buttresses on the north and south sides, the chapel structure contrasts with the heavy stone walls and weighty arches and domes of the Romanesque-style Goodnow Hall.
The excellent acoustic properties of the chapel's interior make the building particularly suitable for concerts and recitals as well as for performances on the Aeolian-Skinner organ. Installed in 1948, the organ contains 4,000 pipes in 66 ranks and is considered one of the finest instruments of its kind in the Midwest. An adjunct of the organ is the Ethel L. Jones carillon, a Schulmerich instrument that rings out over the campus at every commencement, reunion weekend, and other occasions. Services are held each Sunday and at other times in the chapel, and it is also the site of lectures, panel discussions, and other activities. The building has undergone two renovations with accompanying rededications in 1949 and 1980.
Herrick Chapel is located on Park Street across from 7th Avenue. On-street parking is available nearby. Accessible parking is located in the lots behind Macy House and Harry Hopkins House. See Maps and Directions for more information.
Burling Library is located between Bucksbaum Center for the Arts and the railroad tracks, and accessed from 6th Avenue. On-street visitor parking is available on High Street south of 6th and in a lot east of campus. Accessible parking is available in the cul-de-sac behind Bucksbaum, and in the lots to the east of the library. See Maps and Directions for more information.