To complete your transfer application, submit the following by the fall or spring transfer deadline:

  • The Common Application: All forms, including the Registrar's Report are available at Common Application. If you graduated from high school more than one year ago, you do not need to submit the Final School Report form or the Counselor Recommendation form.
  • Official final secondary/high school transcript
  • Official transcripts from each college or university attended
  • Official ACT or SAT scores
  • Two written academic evaluations from current or former professors (students who have been out of high school for less than one year may submit one academic evaluation from a high school teacher)

If you applied to Grinnell in the past as a first-year or transfer student, you may be eligible to re-use some of the documents listed above. This will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Please note that at this time Grinnell does not accept spring transfer applications from international applicants.

Transfer Eligibility

The following information has been put together in order to determine if a student is eligible to apply as a first-year applicant, regardless of their personal preferences or intentions.

You may not apply as a FIRST-YEAR if:

(1) You have studied at another university which is a U.S.-accredited institution and will have 12 or more transferrable credits earned, after graduation from high school, by the time of enrollment at Grinnell.

(2) You have studied at another university which is not a U.S.-accredited institution and will have taken classes for more than two semesters by the time of enrollment at Grinnell

There are cases where students would like to clear a past record and begin their university studies over again, but this is not an option available at Grinnell.

Selecting a Major

You are not obligated to pursue the same line of studies that you followed at your previous university. Your transfer student adviser and academic adviser will work closely with you to design an academic program that fulfills your needs and the College’s requirements for graduation. 

DMACC Transfer Students

Grinnell College and Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) have entered into an agreement to encourage qualified DMACC students to consider transferring to Grinnell College.

If you are a DMACC student considering transfer, see the Frequently Asked Questions for DMACC Transfer Students.

Transfer of Credits

We assess all university-level course work for transfer. If you are accepted, we will provide you with an estimate of the number of credits that will transfer at the time of your admission. We will conduct a final official evaluation of your transfer credits prior to your arrival in August. Some of your university coursework may not transfer.

Individual departments generally expect that the majority of courses constituting a major program will be Grinnell courses.