Home » Future Students

Future Students

Herrick Chapel

The chapel’s interior exhibits the timber-trussed vaulted ceiling typical of the spacious Perpendicular Gothic style. Also characteristic are the high clerestory windows, which admit more light than is the case in other church styles. Seating about 700 people (630 in the nave and 70 in the balcony), the chapel is in basilica form with a narthex or vestibule on the west, broad nave with a center aisle plus side columns and aisles, and apse at the east end. Above the latter area is a representation in stained glass of William Holman Hunt’s painting, "The Light of the World," and on the west side a rendering of Heinrich Hoffman’s “The Ascension.”

There is a bronze plaque in the vestibule honoring the 11 Congregational ministers who, as the Iowa Band, founded Iowa College in Davenport. A large marble plaque in the northwest corner of the nave contains the names of a number of Grinnell students who, as enlistees in the Union Army, died in the Civil War. Also of interest is the reredos, or carved wooden screen, gracing the space behind the altar. Although its exterior looks solid and strong, with Gothic buttresses on the north and south sides, the chapel structure contrasts with the heavy stone walls and weighty arches and domes of the Romanesque-style Goodnow Hall.

The excellent acoustic properties of the chapel's interior make the building particularly suitable for concerts and recitals as well as for performances on the Aeolian-Skinner organ. Installed in 1948, the organ contains 4,000 pipes in 66 ranks and is considered one of the finest instruments of its kind in the Midwest. An adjunct of the organ is the Ethel L. Jones carillon, a Schulmerich instrument that rings out over the campus at every commencement, reunion weekend, and other occasions. Services are held each Sunday and at other times in the chapel, and it is also the site of lectures, panel discussions, and other activities. The building has undergone two renovations with accompanying rededications in 1949 and 1980.

Herrick Chapel is located on Park Street across from 7th Avenue. On-street parking is available nearby. Accessible parking is located in the lots behind Macy House and Harry Hopkins House. See Maps and Directions for more information.

Burling Library

Burling Library is located between Bucksbaum Center for the Arts and the railroad tracks, and accessed from 6th Avenue. On-street visitor parking is available on High Street south of 6th and in a lot east of campus. Accessible parking is available in the cul-de-sac behind Bucksbaum, and in the lots to the east of the library. See Maps and Directions for more information.

Robert N. Noyce ’49 Science Center

The facility includes refurbished teaching and research laboratories, classroom and office space, a science library, a computer laboratory, and several study areas. The addition connects two of the wings with a courtyard in between. The building houses the departments of biology, chemistry, mathematics and computer science, physics, and psychology. Containing modern scientific equipment and instrumentation, the facility has laboratories, classrooms, and seminar rooms, which are equipped with electronic and other modern instructional tools. The building also houses the Kistle Science Library and the Physics Historical Museum. In the northeast section of the building, a greenhouse is used as an instructional and research facility.

Reading Lab

Director Joan Mohan provides individual and small-group instruction to help students: strengthen verbal skills, emphasizing critical comprehension and vocabulary; improve reading efficiency; acquire more effective study strategies (such as managing time, concentrating, remembering, test-taking); improve ESL (English as a Second Language) proficiency and pronunciation. The Reading Lab is located at 1321 Park Street, across from Younker Hall.