Rathje Hall is the northernmost of the East Campus residence halls located between 8th and 10th Avenues. Rathje Hall helps frame the east edge of campus along East Street. A roofed loggia connects the Iowa limestone halls, and a grove of trees and a new garden area border the residence halls. Each floor features 22 to 25 beds and a lounge/study area. Ground floor public spaces are designed to encourage interaction among the students. The new residence halls were designed by William Rawn Associates to complement, but not duplicate, the dormitories President John H.T. Main built more than 90 years ago. Rathje Hall features three student lounges, one kitchen, laundry facilities, a handicap-accessible elevator, and air conditioning. The rooms are assigned as singles and doubles.
Norris Hall features air conditioning, a computer lab with a printer, one kitchen, and four student lounges, one of which contains a piano. The rooms are singles and doubles.
James Hall features four student lounges and one kitchen. The rooms are assigned as singles and doubles.
Dibble Hall features three student lounges, one kitchen, and laundry facilities. Dorm rooms are available as singles and doubles.
Cowles Hall features two student lounges and one public kitchen. The rooms are assigned as singles, doubles, and apartment-style quads. Cowles has dorm-style housing and a lounge west of the main entrance, with apartment-style housing to the east. The apartments include double-height living rooms, bedroom lofts, and a hallway looking over the living space. Two of the apartments have first floor bedrooms and accessible kitchens and bathrooms.
Haines Hall features three student lounges and one kitchen. The rooms are assigned as singles, doubles, triples, and quads.
Gates Hall is recognizable by its tower, the northern of the two towers that are a central feature of the north campus range of residences, at Park Street and Ninth Avenue. Resembling the gate of Hampton Court Palace, it aligns with a parallel gate that is part of Rose Hall on East Campus. It therefore, with Rawson to the immediate south, forms part of the part of the “equinox pathway”: early risers on the morning of the vernal equinox can view the sunrise directly to the east through two campus archways - the Rose Hall arch and the Rawson/Gates Tower arch. Gates Hall features four student lounges and one kitchen. The rooms are assigned as singles, double, and triples.
Kershaw Hall is between Lazier and Rose Halls on the east edge of campus. Constructed of white Iowa limestone, Kershaw is connected to the other East Campus residence halls by a roofed loggia. Large windows in the first-floor lounge look over Mac Field and give the space an open, accessible feel. Like all of the East Campus halls, Kershaw offers air conditioning and elevators. The new residence halls were designed by William Rawn Associates to complement, but not duplicate, the dormitories President John H.T. Main built more than 90 years ago. Kershaw Hall features laundry facilities, a handicap-accessible elevator, three student lounges, one of which includes a piano, and one kitchen. Dorm rooms are available as singles and doubles.
The Benjamin J. and Mabel T. Ricker House was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin in 1911 and completed in 1912. It was the first of seven houses the Griffins designed for Iowa clients, six of which were built and the other five of which are in Mason City. Ricker House was purchased by Grinnell College in 2000 and is operated as a short-term residence for guests of the College.
Grinnell College's heating plant provides warmth to more than 60 buildings on campus, including 19 residence halls. Until 2002, this served as both the heating and cooling plant for the College. The cooling function was moved, and the heating expanded to add capacity for the Joe Rosenfield Campus Center and East Campus residence halls.