Consider beginning your application to Grinnell by submitting the Preliminary Application. It won't take long, and submitting this optional part of the application will give you access to information about application timelines, scholarships, and the college search process.
In addition to the Common Application (which includes your essay and your list of extracurricular activities), you’ll need to submit:
- 2 teacher evaluations (we prefer the Common Application Teacher Recommendation forms)
- Secondary/high school counselor recommendation (we prefer the Common Application Counselor Recommendation form). Home-school applicants may have a parent complete this form.
- Common Application Secondary School Report. Home-school applicants may have a parent complete this form.
- Official copy of your secondary/high school transcript with original stamp, signature, or seal
For international students, a complete application to Grinnell College requires all of the standard application requirements as well as:
- International applicants are also required to demonstrate their English proficiency by submitting the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). An official TOEFL or IELTS score report is required for all international applicants whose native languages are not English and/or whose primary languages of high school instruction have not been English. The mid-50% range for TOEFL (iBT) scores for international students admitted in the fall of 2015 is 104–112, and the preferred IELTS minimum score is 6.5. Grinnell’s institution code for ordering TOEFL score reports is 6252. Please review our International Students FAQs for further details on test submission and waivers.
- Your application for admission will not be considered complete until the appropriate financial forms have been submitted.