Your gifts make our work possible.
The Liberal Arts in Prison Program has been critically stewarded by gifts throughout its history. Your gift helps provide liberal arts education to incarcerated students and fosters Grinnell’s commitment to social justice. All donations are tax-deductible.
How to Make a Gift
To give, visit Grinnell’s donation page, and write “Liberal Arts in Prison” in the “other” field at the bottom of the page. Additional ways to give are listed on the Ways to Give page. As long as you designate your gift to the Liberal Arts in Prison Program, all of your donation through any method will go to supporting the program.
The Liberal Arts in Prison Program is extraordinarily inexpensive.
Working with an annual operating budget of $60,000, the program offers 10 college courses to around 15 incarcerated students every year. We also host an expansive student volunteer program that engages around 50 on-campus students on a weekly basis.
Our program operates very economically:
- $20 covers supplies for an incarcerated student's 4-credit course.
- $200 covers travel for a car-full of Grinnell students to volunteer as tutors on a weekly basis for a semester.
- $300 covers an incarcerated student's materials for a full year of coursework.
- $1000 covers an incarcerated student's enrollment in one semester of the First Year of College Program.
- $6000 covers the full assigned cost of a 4-credit Grinnell College course in prison (for 15 incarcerated students).