Please visit often for new perspectives on our collection and access GCMoA’s social media for daily opportunities to connect with and interact with art.
GCMoA/DCL Summer Programs
This summer, as we begin to return to “normal” Grinnell College Museum of Art and Drake Community Library will partner to provide arts and literacy programs for the community through live in-person and virtual programs, activity bags and online resources. Here’s the scoop!
Virtual Dance Party & Yoga for Kids and Caregivers (Alternating Tuesdays)
10:30–11 a.m. June 8–July 27
- Join community celebrities as they read a book, look at art, and lead us through their favorite dance moves. We want to see your dance moves too! This is a time for literacy and movement for babies, kids, and their grown-ups.
- Grace Diehm is a wellness specialist at the Ahrens Fitness Center and will lead you through 30 minutes of stretching, intentional movement and bonding time with your child. Beach towels make great yoga mats for kids!
Storytime Art in the Park
Free but preregistration required. Registration forms will be released weekly on Mondays. Limit 10 children per session. Preregister for a 45-minute session. Enjoy time outdoors and multiple activities led by DCL and GCMoA staff. Listen to great books, look at great art and make great art of your own!
Wednesdays June 9–July 28, Grinnell College Central Campus
- 11–11: 45
Thursdays June 10–July 29, Central Park Shelter during Farmer’s Market
In case of threatening weather, Storytime Art in the Park will be canceled. Cancelations will be announced on KGRN 1410 AM and on Grinnell College Museum of Art’s Facebook page prior to the start of the session. You may also text GCMoA at 641 780 5215 or call DCL at 641 236 2661.
Grinnell College does not assume responsibility for the care and safety of children who attend these events. The College makes these programs open to the public with the understanding that for children who attend, a parent, legal guardian, or other designated caregiver remains responsible for their care and protection. For the safety of everyone, program participants, GCMoA and DCL staff will follow CDC guidance for COVID-19: small groups, hand washing, social distancing and mask wearing protocols.
Virtual Storytime/Fun with Art (alternating Thursdays)
June 10–July 29, 10:30- 11 am
- Drop in for a virtual story time with AmeriCorps Vista Athena Frasca and celebrity guest readers from the community each week for 30 minutes of stories and fun.
- Kids can drop-in for 30 minutes with AmeriCorps Vista Athena. Listen to a book and learn about art by looking, thinking, talking, making or writing.
- Check out GCMoA’s Educational Resource page for DIY activity guides.
- Register through BeanStack for Drake Community Library’s summer reading programs and on-line activities and challenges.
Connect with GCMoA and DCL on social media: