Another Banner Year for Grinnell Philanthropy
Fiscal year 2016 (FY16) continued Grinnell College’s philanthropic growth after the exceptional year of fiscal year 2015 (FY15). Total commitments in FY16 reached $26,973,773, an increase of more than $3.6 million, or 15.5%, in new gifts, new pledges, and new bequests over the previous year.
In all, 11,375 individuals — including alumni, friends of the College, parents of current and former students, faculty, students, and staff — were donors to the College in fiscal year 2016. Among these, the largest number of donors (7,711) made unrestricted contributions. This year 7,098 alumni made gifts to the College, an increase of 3.9% over last year. Of FY16’s alumni donors, 245 made their first-ever gifts to the College. Overall, Grinnell welcomed 1,407 first-time donors in FY16.
Total receipts for fiscal year 2016 — one-time gifts, payments on pledges, and realized bequests — reached $10.9 million.
“Grinnell’s culture of philanthropy supports our aspirations to provide students a world-class education that prepares them to successfully navigate their careers, life, and service,” says President Raynard S. Kington. “I am grateful for our many donors who so generously play a key partnership role in our future.”
Grinnell achieved a major milestone in FY16 when Carolyn “Kay” Bucksbaum ‘51 pledged $5 million toward the creation of a position to lead the College’s Global Grinnell initiatives and a programmatic fund focused on uplifting students and program development.
Additionally, the College set a record for one-day giving this fiscal year. Our second annual Scarlet & Give Back Day saw gifts from 3,376 donors on April 7, an increase of more than 75% over last year’s 1,922 donors.
Alumni and donor engagement take many forms at Grinnell. Here are some highlights from fiscal year 2016:
- The second annual Global Day of Service, co-sponsored by the Alumni Council, engaged over 450 alumni, family, and friends who volunteered in 55 locations around the world to celebrate Founder's Day, Grinnell College, and our strong commitment to social justice.
- GRASP volunteers conducted nearly 400 interviews with prospective students.
- The alumni relations team, in partnership with more than 200 regional network volunteers, hosted more than 75 regional events to which we welcomed 3,652 alumni, parents, and friends.
- More than 400 students participated in National Philanthropy Week.
- The outgoing Class of 2016 achieved 54% in total gift participation toward the senior class gift.
- With the partnership of over 150 class volunteers, the College welcomed 1,177 alumni and family members back for Reunion 2016 from 47 states, the District of Columbia, and 11 foreign nations.
- The Class of 1966 raised over $4 million and had 67% participation, both of which are records for a 50th Reunion class.
- Through the 2016 Grinnell externship program, 97 alumni volunteers provided experiences to 99 students, a 36% increase from last year.
- More than 150 alumni returned to campus to share their time and talent with current students and fellow alumni. As alumni mentors and speakers in a variety of platforms, Grinnellians are consistently creating opportunities to give back through their professional expertise and talent.
- The Council for Advancement and Support of Education honored the donor relations team with a Circle of Excellence Award for its fall 2015 Endowed Scholarship Fund Activity Reports. The annual giving team received awards from CASE for Best Practices in Fundraising (Scarlet & Give Back Day FY15) and Best Student Alumni Programming (Class Ambassadors).
“This marked the fourth consecutive year for increased fundraising at Grinnell,” says Shane Jacobson, vice president for development and alumni relations. “We thank each and every donor who helped make fiscal year 2016 an incredible year in philanthropy. Their generosity, alongside the many other ways the Grinnell community gives back, flows through the College to positively influence the lives of our students, faculty, and staff.”
For more information about giving to Grinnell College, please contact the Office of Development and Alumni Relations toll-free at 866-850-1846 or local at 641-269-1846 or send an email to email@example.com.