Search Committee Launch Meeting Held
Happy New Year!
We are writing today to share that the Presidential Search Committee has officially launched its work. Since our last communication, the group has met twice with the search consultants from Isaacson, Miller, once in December for an informal check-in before the holiday break and again this past Friday (Jan. 10) for the committee’s formal launch meeting. It was a productive session, and we look forward to working together closely over the coming months as the search progresses.
As was shared at the end of last year, the members of the Presidential Search Committee reflect a diverse cross section of the College’s stakeholders. In addition to our role as co-chairs, the committee members include:
- Trustee members: Shelley Floyd ’72, Julie Gosselink, John Kispert ’85, Jeanne Myerson ’75, W. Edward Senn ’79, Joel Spiegel ’78, and Matthew Welch ’96.
- Faculty members: Todd Armstrong, professor of Russian and chair of faculty; Caleb Elfenbein, associate professor of history and religious studies and director of the Center for Humanities; Karla Erickson, professor of sociology and chair of gender, womens', and sexuality studies; Lakesia Johnson, associate professor of gender, women's, and sexuality studies and English and assistant vice-president and chief diversity officer; and Vida Praitis, professor of biology.
- Staff member: Erika Jack, science technical support and Staff Council president.
- Student member: Regina Logan ’20, Student Government Association president.
- Alumni member: Ryann Haines Cheung ’93, Alumni Council president.
The Presidential Search Committee is being supported in its work by a team from Isaacson, Miller, led by John Isaacson, Katie Rockman, and Jeff Kessner. Members of the Isaacson, Miller team will be on campus the week of January 27 to meet with and solicit input from a wide range of Grinnell constituents, including students, faculty, staff, administrators, and others. They will also meet virtually with the Alumni Council’s Executive Committee this month.
Open forums for faculty, staff, and students facilitated by John Isaacson, Jeff Kessner, and George Moose have been scheduled for Isaacson, Miller’s January visit to Grinnell. The input shared with Isaacson, Miller by our community members during these sessions will inform the drafting of the presidential position profile, which will be the key document shared with prospective candidates early in the search.
Open forum sessions are scheduled for Monday, January 27:
- Staff: 1 to 2:30 p.m., JRC 101
- Faculty: 4 to 5:30 p.m., JRC 101
- Students: 7 to 8:30 p.m., JRC 101
We are eager to receive input about a diverse group of potential candidates and encourage you to submit any candidate nominations through the Isaacson, Miller website. The Presidential Search Committee looks forward to receiving your recommendations.
Please note, too, that as the Presidential Search Committee continues its work, we will share additional information about the search process on the College’s website at www.grinnell.edu/president-search.
We are grateful for your commitment to Grinnell and for your support of this important process. Please be on the lookout for additional information next week about Isaacson, Miller’s upcoming visit.
Trish Fitzgibbons Anderson ’80 and George Moose ’66
Co-Chairs, Presidential Search Committee