Veterans Benefits

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post 9/11 GI benefits to you.

Contact the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 or visit the VA Education and Training site to determine if you are eligible for a benefit. The GI Bill Comparison Tool will provide information about college affordability and brings together information from more than 17 different online sources and three federal agencies, including the number of students receiving VA education benefits at each school.

Yellow Ribbon

Grinnell College participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program of the Post-9/11 GI Bill and encourages veterans and their families to explore the resources on our website detailing institutional, state, federal, and veteran financial aid programs for which you may be eligible.

For students who become eligible for the Veteran's Administration Yellow Ribbon program, non-need-based scholarships will be considered part of Grinnell’s Yellow Ribbon matching grant. The student's non-need-based scholarship may be renamed as a Yellow Ribbon Matching Grant.

Certifying Official

The certifying official on campus is the Assistant Registrar. Contact the Registrar’s Office at 641-269-3450 for questions. The responsibilities of the certifying official include certifying paperwork from the VA for Veterans Assistance Benefit payments.

Point of Contact

The designated point of contact on campus is the Director of Financial Aid. Contact Student Financial Aid at 641-269-3250 for questions. The responsibilities of the point of contact include advising on the availability of campus resources.