For nearly four decades, the Scholars’ Convocation series has created a common educational experience shared by the entire Grinnell College community. Established in the late 1970s in response to the College’s move to an open curriculum, the accessible interdisciplinary nature of convocation offers an intellectual encounter that transcends disciplinary boundaries.
Scholars’ Convocations are arranged by a faculty committee. If you are planning or are interested in planning a Scholars’ Convocation, please see Scholars’ Convocation Proposals.
Scholars’ Convocation 2020–21
- Sept. 17: Constitution Day, Voting Rights. Speaker: Jack Doppelt ’74
- Oct. 1: Bill Ferguson
- Nov. 5: President Anne Harris
- Nov. 12: Latona Giwa ’09
- Dec. 3: Vance Byrd
- Feb. 4: The Grinnell Lecture: Jin Feng, professor of Chinese and Japanese, “Understanding Chinese Culture through its Food.”
- Feb. 11: Theri Pickens
- April 8: Ilyse Morgenstein Fuerst
- April 15: Karla Erickson, professor of sociology, “I/Robot: The Social Life of Machines.”
- April 22: Shanna Benjamin, Ph.D.
- May 6: Phi Beta Kappa