Students must vacate campus residences during winter break unless declared a winter break sponsored student (WBSS). As a sponsored student, you are approved to remain on campus after closing and/or return prior to the opening of the College during winter break for one or more of the following reasons:
- participation in winter athletics or other College sponsored activities/events;
- International or U.S. global nomad student;
- working for College services* a minimum of 20 hours per week; or
- approved by the Division of Student Affairs.
Sponsorship involves obtaining permission that will be communicated between the sponsoring department and Residence Life. Any student seeking to stay over winter break that is not sponsored by a department or athletic team must meet with the director of Residence Life.
No other students are allowed in student residences during winter break.
*College services are those services necessary for the day to day operation of the College during winter break. These services include but are not limited to campus security, mail services, catering, library, and admission.
WBSS status is a privilege, not a right. Only sponsored students are allowed in student residences during winter break. WBSS automatically agree to accept and comply with College rules and regulations. We thank you for acting responsibly so that your ability to stay in student residences during winter break is not jeopardized. In the rare case a WBSS violates the Winter Break Policy or does not act responsibly during this time, the student may be required to leave campus until the semester begins, fines may be issued, and/or judicial charges may be pursued.
Alcohol and Drug Policy
All student residences are substance-free during winter break. All WBSS implicitly agree not to use or distribute alcohol or drugs on campus during this time, regardless of age. Departments whose WBSS violates this policy may lose future privileges of sponsoring students during winter break.
WBSS Agree to:
- Abide by the Winter Break Substance-Free Policy.
- Keep public spaces clean and orderly throughout the entire break period.
- Not allow unauthorized students into student residences.
- Keep outside doors to all residence halls and campus houses closed and locked (not propped open).
- Meet the work/participation requirements of their sponsoring department. Students who withdraw from their sponsored program must vacate their residence hall/campus house room within 24 hours of withdrawal.
- Arrive on campus on the exact date indicated in the letter from their sponsor. Students who arrive before their sponsored date may be charged a $100 per night fee.
Residence Life Coordinator / Emergency Contact
If you have an emergency or need assistance, please call ext. 4600 (or 641-269-4600 if calling from off-campus) to reach Campus Security and/or the RLC on call.
WBSS may cook in the residence halls and campus house kitchens. WBSS who use campus kitchens agree to clean the kitchen immediately. All items left out and /or dirty will be disposed of daily. All appliances must be turned off / unplugged immediately after each use. Once cool, all appliances must be stored/put away accordingly.