The Language Learning Center (LLC) is home to two types of language peer tutoring on campus:
- Supplemental instruction in Ancient Greek, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Latin, Russian, and Spanish.
- Credit-bearing courses in languages not taught in departments at Grinnell, via the Alternate Language Study Option (ALSO).
In addition, the LLC collaborates with the Digital Liberal Arts Collaborative (DLAC) to provide faculty, language assistants and peer tutors with resources and ideas for integrating technology to their language teaching. Recent Technology Talks have included:
- How to set up a WordPress site
- Using tools in Blackboard
- Gamifying the classroom with Rezzly
- Flipgrid for video submission
- GooseChase for digital scavenger hunts
- Digital Storytelling
- ThingLink for creating interactive images and maps
- 360 imagery with Google cardboard
The language center also engages the community with intercultural learning opportunities, including the following events:
- Between Allah and Me and Everyone Else, a film discussion about Muslim women’s decision to wear the veil.
- Say My Name, a workshop led by Chinese tutors to help faculty and staff learn to correctly pronounce students’ names.
- Calligraphy Study Break, with calligraphers in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, Russian, and German.