This chart lists the credit and course equivalency awarded for CAPE exams taken prior to matriculation at Grinnell College.
- First-year, first-time freshmen are limited to a maximum of 24 pre- and post-matriculation credits (AP, IB, A-level, CAPE, college credits).
- All AP/IB/A-level/CAPE credits awarded are counted as divisional credit and are not subject to the 48 credit departmental limit.
- AP/IB/A-level/CAPE credits awarded count toward the 124 credits required for the degree.
- Where an equivalent course is listed below, the CAPE credits can be used to meet the prerequisite for another course.
- CAPE credits count toward the 32 or 34 credits required for a major only if the Notes column indicates “For major.”
- CAPE scores and corresponding credit will be cancelled upon successful completion (“D” grade or better) of any equivalent Grinnell course as listed below.
- Credit is awarded only from an official CAPE certificate.
|Exam Name||Minimum Score||Equivalent Course Credits Awarded||Notes|
|Art and Design||CAPE - II||4 in Humanities Division (see note)||Not for major credit. The art department must review the portfolios of all students taking the exam. Credits are awarded only upon approval from the art department.|
|Chemistry||CAPE - II||4 as CHM-129||For major credit.|
|Economics||CAPE - II||4 as ECN-111||Not for major credit.|
|English - Literature||CAPE - II||4 in Humanities Division||Not for major credit.|
|Environmental Studies||CAPE - II||4 in Interdisciplinary Division||Not for major or concentration credit.|
|French Language||CAPE - II||4 as FRN-101||Not for major credit.|
|History||CAPE - II||4 in Social Studies Division||Not for major credit.|
|Mathematics - Integrated||CAPE - II||4 as MAT-124 or 131||Not for major credit.|
|Mathematics - Pure||CAPE - II||4 as MAT-124 or 131||Not for major credit.|
|Physics I||CAPE - II||4 in Science Division||Not for major credit. Does not satisfy any prerequisite. Credit for CAPE Physics I exam will be cancelled if student receives credit for AP Physics C - Mechanical, AP Physics I, IB Physics, A-Level Physics or PHY-131.|
|Physics II||CAPE - II||4 in Science Division||Not for major credit. Does not satisfy any prerequisite. Credit for CAPE Physics II exam will be cancelled if student receives credit for AP Physics C- E & M, AP Physics 2 or PHY-132.|
|Sociology||CAPE - II||4 as SOC-111||For major credit.|
|Spanish||CAPE - II||4 in Humanities Division||Not for major credit.|
Revised July 2023 — Departmental policies regarding acceptance of credit are subject to change.