Student Assistant Positions, Academic Year
Four student positions are available, two during fall semester and two during spring semester, to assist the CERA Manager with field work (including tree removal, prescribed burning, GPS mapping, vegetation surveys, seed collecting, seed cleaning), and data management and analyses (including Microsoft Access database development and Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping).
For more information, please contact the CERA Manager, Emily Klein.
CERA Summer Restoration Assistants
2017 Job Description
Summer restoration assistants will conduct ecological restoration, wildlife monitoring, and education/outreach at Grinnell College’s 365-acre Conard Environmental Research Area (CERA) and on urban prairies in Grinnell. The positions require willingness to work independently and outside under adverse conditions (humidity, heat, biting insects), but rewards are numerous on the prairie! Summer restoration assistants are supervised by CERA manager Emily Klein.
- conduct ecological restoration activities at CERA and urban prairies
- propagate and out-plant prairie, savanna, wetland plant species
- conduct plant surveys and animal population monitoring
- conduct annual trail maintenance
- assist with harvest and storage of prairie seed
- assist with prairie and conservation education activities
May 29–Aug. 4, 2017: $8.50/hour, 40 hours/week.
Please merge the following materials into one document and send by email to Emily Klein or bring to Macy House Room 205 by Feb. 24, 2017.
- cover letter describing your background and interests and what you hope to gain from the apprenticeship experience
- resume listing relevant work and research experiences
- contact information for two references
Deadline to Apply
Application materials are due on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017
Nature Conservancy’s Anna Beal Summer Intern Scholarships (search for “Anna Beal summer intern scholarship”)