students in anthropology class

Transfer Applicants

So you’re considering joining the Grinnell community. Great! Here’s what we need from you to complete your transfer application, by the transfer deadline below:

  • The Common Application: All forms, including the Registrar’s Report are available at Common Application. If you graduated from high school more than one year ago, you do not need to submit the Final School Report form or the Counselor Recommendation form.
  • Official final secondary/high school transcript
  • Official transcripts from each college or university attended
  • Official ACT or SAT scores
  • Two written academic evaluations from current or former professors (If you’ve been out of high school for less than one year, you may submit one academic evaluation from a high school teacher.)

If you applied to Grinnell in the past as a first-year or transfer student, you may be eligible to re-use some of the documents listed above. This will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  You may apply for need-based financial assistance as a transfer applicant, but merit-based aid is not available.  


Transfer Admission Deadlines, 2019–20
Application Deadline April 1
Admission Notification Mid-May
Deposit Due June 1

Transfer Eligibility

Grinnell will consider you a transfer student under these circumstances, even if you’d like a do-over. Since graduating from high school,

(1) You have studied at another U.S.-accredited college or university and will have earned 12 or more transferrable credits by the time you enroll at Grinnell.

(2) You have studied at another university that is not a U.S.-accredited institution and will have taken classes for more than two semesters by the time you enroll at Grinnell.

Selecting a Major

You can study something new at Grinnell. You don’t need to study the same thing as at your previous university. Your transfer student adviser and academic adviser will work closely with you to design an academic program that fulfills your needs and the College’s requirements for graduation.

DMACC Transfer Students

If you are a Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) student considering transfer, see the Frequently Asked Questions for DMACC transfer students. Grinnell College and DMACC have an agreement to encourage qualified DMACC students to consider transferring to Grinnell.

Transfer of Credits

We assess all university-level course work for transfer. If you are accepted, we will provide you with an estimate of the number of credits that will transfer at the time of your admission. We will conduct a final official evaluation of your transfer credits prior to your arrival in August. Some of your university coursework may not transfer.

Individual departments generally expect that the majority of courses constituting a major program will be Grinnell courses.

We use cookies to enable essential services and functionality on our site, enhance your user experience, provide a better service through personalized content, collect data on how visitors interact with our site, and enable advertising services.

To accept the use of cookies and continue on to the site, click "I Agree." For more information about our use of cookies and to opt-out of cookies at any time, please refer to our website Privacy Policy.