Student Health and Wellness (SHAW) offers an integrated model of physical health and mental health services to support the personal and academic success of all Grinnell College students. Wellness, prevention, and health promotion empower students and help create an environment where pursuing health and wellness is possible. We utilize a holistic approach to emphasize the spectrum of prevention, intervention, and recovery for a range of health concerns which allows us to embrace and appreciate the differences in each student’s health and wellness needs. Most of our services are covered by the cost of tuition with no additional cost to the students (and not billed to insurance). In addition to nursing, counseling, and case management appointments, we offer a variety of programs, events, and advocacy to help students navigate the world’s complexities as it relates to health and wellbeing. We also help students connect with off-campus medical and mental health providers/specialists in the community when needed.
For the most recent campus activity level and other information, visit the COVID Resources webpage.
SHAW will not be offering a walk-in clinic option nor will Campus Safety have rapid antigen tests. Instead, students will be given 2 at home rapid antigen tests that they can have on hand if needed. Remember to follow the CDC guidelines for testing. If a student runs out of the provided rapid antigen tests, they may contact SHAW for more. Be aware that there is a limited supply. Once this runs out, students will be responsible for procuring their own. Most health insurance companies will cover up to 8 tests a month, but it is the responsibility of the student to verify this with their insurance provider or the pharmacy. SHAW can provide free transportation to the pharmacy.
Campus Safety and SHAW will have PCR tests available for pickup. The courier will run Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10 am.
- All students who are in Grinnell for the summer can pick up a supply of at-home COVID tests May 24–26 from 8–10 a.m. or 2–5 p.m.
- All students in Grinnell who are symptomatic should schedule an appointment with a SHAW provider.
- Any student that tests positive should contact SHAW during regular business hours or Campus Safety after hours.
- Students living on campus must isolate if they test positive.
- Students living off campus will not have an option to move on campus.
- SHAW nurses will work with student to come up with a check-in plan based on symptoms.