Founded in 2015, the Digital Liberal Arts Collaborative consists of a team of creative people who help the Grinnell College community develop and infuse digital resources into its scholarship, teaching, and learning.
By harnessing the entrepreneurial spirit of Grinnell faculty and students toward the meaningful incorporation of technology into the teaching and learning of the liberal arts, the Digital Liberal Arts Collaborative’s goal is to assist the College in maintaining its leadership position among its peer institutions by providing a model of liberal arts education in the twenty-first century.
We provide the support, expertise, and resources that enable the College to strive toward a culture that apprehends the learning potential afforded by technologies, one in which faculty feel emboldened to experiment and play, in which students feel empowered with new skills, and in which all understand their ethical responsibilities as both digital citizens and members of a small liberal arts community.
In the fall 2019 semester, DLAC is again offering a series of workshops to provide faculty with ideas and support for integrating technology into their teaching. "Tech Tuesdays" drop-in sessions will be held between 4:00 and 5:00 pm in the HSSC, room N1160.
For additional information about these workshops, please contact Gina Donovan.
September: WordPress. WordPress is a free and open-source content management system that can be used to create websites, blog, and other online content. Students can use WordPress for blogging, presenting media projects, creating digital portfolios, and many other uses.
- September 3 — Installation and set-up.
- September 10 — Customizing your WordPress site.
- September 17 — Integrating H5P into your site.
- September 24 — Further topics for site development and use.
October: Digital Projects
- October 1 — Podcasting. Introduction and set-up.
- October 8 — Podcasting. Editing and completing the project.
- October 15 — Digital Storytelling. Introduction and basic concepts.
- October 29 — Digital Storytelling. Designing assignments.
November: 360 degree photography and Augmented Reality (AR)
- November 5 — Introduction to 360 degree photography
- November 12 — Software using 360 degree images: Google 360 and ThingLink
- November 19 — Augmented Reality