Founded in 2015, the Digital Liberal Arts Collaborative consists of a team of creative people who help the Grinnell College community develop and infuse digital resources into its scholarship, teaching, and learning.
By harnessing the entrepreneurial spirit of Grinnell faculty and students toward the meaningful incorporation of technology into the teaching and learning of the liberal arts, the Digital Liberal Arts Collaborative’s goal is to assist the College in maintaining its leadership position among its peer institutions by providing a model of liberal arts education in the twenty-first century.
We provide the support, expertise, and resources that enable the College to strive toward a culture that apprehends the learning potential afforded by technologies, one in which faculty feel emboldened to experiment and play, in which students feel empowered with new skills, and in which all understand their ethical responsibilities as both digital citizens and members of a small liberal arts community.
In spring 2019, DLAC is partnering with the Language Learning Center to offer a series of workshops to provide faculty with ideas and support for integrating technology into their teaching. Each session will be offered on Wednesday afternoon, from 4:15 to 5:00 pm. All sessions will be held in the Digital Liberal Arts Lab.
- February 6 — Rezzly Provides the opportunity for competency and mastery-based learning. Includes professional development options for gamification and personalized learning strategies.
- February 13 — Explain Everything An interactive whiteboard platform in which people share and learn without boundaries. Join from any device and collaborate both visually and audibly.
- February 20 — ThingLink ThingLink develops tools for image interaction that allow content sharing via online images.
- February 27 — Teaching students to use images legally Learn how to find and publish legally compliant images.
- March 6 — Storybird + Book creator Create and publish beautiful illustrated books online and in print. Creativity tools provide help to improve your writing.
- March 13 — Piktochart Create beautiful infographics, flyers, posters, presentations, and reports easily with no design experience.
- April 3 — WordPress WordPress is a free and open-source content management system that can be used to create websites, blogs, and other online content. Students can use WordPress for blogging, media space for class, e-portfolios, etc.
- April 10 — GooseChase Create digital scavenger hunts to motivate your students and create community.
- April 17 — Sway Sway is an easy to use digital storytelling app for creating interactive presentations and reports.
- April 24 — Digital Storytelling Learn how to engage your students in creating audiovisual digital stories.
- May 1 — Story Maps With Story Maps, combine authoritative maps with text, images, and multimedia content to engage and inspire an audience.
- May 8 — Using Open Educational Resources Information for finding and using open educational resources.