Resources for New and Early-Career Faculty

New Faculty Resources

Faculty Mentoring Network

Research has shown that faculty members, particularly new faculty members, benefit from multiple mentors. Some of those may be formally assigned, but many are less formal (see list below). To help encourage faculty members to develop a set of mentors, we have identified a number of resources to help you do this. First and foremost, your departmental colleagues expect to fulfill this role, whether your department has a formal mentoring assignment or not. Your department chair is a great place to start if you want to know more about how your department supports new faculty members. Second, you will be offered an extra-departmental mentor who will provide the accountability and encouragement to help you develop your own network, and make sure you are following up on all the responsibilities that will lead to success. If you have any questions about the Faculty Mentoring Network or Programs, please contact the Associate Deans' Office.

Faculty Mentoring Programs

The Early Career Faculty & Staff Group (ECFS)
The Early Career Faculty & Staff Group is open to all new members of the Grinnell College community. For tenure-track and term faculty, the group meets regularly to discuss issues relating to successfully navigating the establishment of an academic career. It is viewed by many as a safe group to air concerns about early career issues. In addition to supporting eacThe Early Career Faculty & Staff Group is open to all new members of the Grinnell College community. For tenure-track and term faculty, the group meets regularly to discuss issues relating to successfully navigating the establishment of an academic career. In addition to supporting each other, the group facilitates programming that allows non-tenured faculty to seek guidance from tenured faculty members, administrators, and other Grinnell College staff members. For all new faculty and staff, the group organizes social opportunities as well as ad hoc working groups on specific issues of concern. The ECFS group can be a safe group to air concerns about early career issues, a valuable source for professional development, and a great way to meet other members of the Grinnell community.h other, the group facilitates programming that allows non-tenured faculty to seek guidance from tenured faculty members, administrators, and other Grinnell College staff members. For all new faculty and staff, the group organizes social opportunities as well as ad hoc working groups on specific issues of concern. The ECFS group can be a valuable source for professional development and a great way to meet other members of the Grinnell community.
2019-20 Contacts: DixuanYujing Chen, Vanessa Preast
The Faculty and Staff of Color Caucus
The Faculty and Staff of Color Caucus is a group of staff and faculty who provide collegial support to one another through activities that encourage community building, fellowship, resource sharing, professional development, collaboration, and advocacy. The group encourages and supports Grinnell's stated commitment to diversity and equity and works in coalition with other members of the campus to create a climate where all of its members can thrive.
2019-20 Contact: Tess Kulstad
Scholarly Women's Achievement Group (SWAG)
In order to enhance and promote women¹s scholarly achievement at Grinnell College, SWAGS (Scholarly Women's Achievement Groups) were created. Each SWAG consists of a few (3-5) women faculty, who help each other 1) develop career goals for our scholarship and 2) identify short-term tactics for achieving those goals. The purpose of the groups is to provide practical, tactical support to each other for making our scholarship a priority in the context of our other professional and personal obligations. The aim is not to critique each others’ scholarship, but to help each member articulate concrete objectives for scholarly production, and to set and meet practical goals towards those objectives. The small groups meet 4-5 times a year at times arranged by each group.
22019-20 Contacts: Carolyn Jacobson, Celeste Miller
Science Teaching and Learning Group (STaLG)
The Science Teaching and Learning Group (STaLG) is an open discussion group that has been meeting regularly for a number of years. Our goal is to provide a place where science faculty from all disciplines, as well as others involved in science education at Grinnell, can come together for informal conversations, brainstorming and strategy-sharing on a variety of topics in science teaching and learning. We generally have a mix of faculty and staff with a range of experience with students both in and out of the classroom to contribute their perspective on issues ranging from the very practical, such as syllabus design and exam writing, to broader pedagogical questions, such as what it means to have an inclusive classroom environment and approaches to teaching writing in the sciences.
2019-20 Contact: Peter-Michael Osera

New Faculty Orientation Schedule (pdf)

New Faculty Resources


You will be assigned a computer username (for email, file server storage, etc.) and a password. We highly recommend that you store all text and other data files on our file server (rather than your local hard drive) as these drives are far more reliable, backed up nightly and accessible from all campus. Networked laser printers are present in all academic buildings.

Additional information on faculty and staff resources is available at Information Technology Services.

Confidential Material Disposal

Confidential documents should be shredded and may be taken to academic support offices for disposal.

Copy Services

Premier Printing
Premier Printing serves as the Grinnell College copy center. Staff and faculty can have copies made usually within a 48-hour time frame. A full range of copy and finishing services are offered from black and white and color copies to design and CD archiving.
Academic Support Offices
Please ask academic assistants to acquaint you with the copy machines in the offices if you are not familiar with the model. These machines keep track of usage, so you must have an access code to enter before it can be used. Your account number should be obtained from your academic assistant as each department has a separate number. Your academic assistants are available to help you do copying jobs. Please talk to your academic assistants about the appropriate procedure for having students do your copying. (Please note that copies made in the academic support offices are 5 cents a copy and will be billed to your departmental budget. Your department will be pleased if you try to conserve the budget by sending all possible jobs to Premier Printing!)
To use the copier in the library, you will need a number from the desk and key it in at the copier. Give your permission to the Circulation Desk Supervisor (641-269-3350) if you would like your student worker to make copies for you.


The fax machine in academic support offices is available for faculty use only (students are to use the fax in Mail Services). Fax numbers are listed in the Faculty and Staff Directory. Your academic support assistant will be glad to discuss the procedure for using the fax in your building.


An email account will be assigned to you by Information Technology Services. The college's computer system operates differently on the MAC and PC, so if you need help, check with the academic support assistants or the Computer Help Desk.

Computer Help Desk

The phone number is 641-269-4901 or you can submit a ticket to the ITS help desk.


Following is a list of keys you will need and who you need to contact to obtain them:

Building entrance
Your P-card will give you access to academic buildings. Please contact your academic support assistant if you have trouble accessing your building.
Your own office
Facilities Management [Service Building, x3300]. Please check with your academic support assistant first to see if they have already ordered keys for you.
Classroom keys
Please check with your academic support assistants.
P. O. Box (If needed)
Crady Mail Services (Kim Hegg, Manager/Mollie Warburton, Assistant).
Academic Support Assistants' Office
from Facilities Management. Because of confidential materials, the key to the academic support assistants' offices should only be used by faculty. Please be sure the office doors are locked when the academic assistants are not in their offices. Check with your academic support assistants regarding their hours.

Memo Pads

You may have personalized memo pads printed by Premier Printing. Check in your academic support office for information. (They may also have scratch pads available.)

Newsletters and Listservs

This College Services Resources website provides a list of newsletters and listservs available to the campus community.

Notary Services

A list of Notary Publics is available on the Human Resources website.

Office Security

In order to maintain security and integrity of confidential material in academic support assistants' offices, students are not allowed to be in the office unsupervised at any time of the day or night. This is extremely important. Please help out by not giving your students access to the office (which includes your office key).

Copiers for student use are available in various locations on campus. Students are not to be given the access code numbers for the photocopier, nor may they use the fax, computers, or typewriters in the office at any time. (Typewriters are allowed if pre-arranged between academic assistants and students.)

If you send a student to pick up computer output from the academic support assistants' office, please have them ask one of the assistants to retrieve it from the printer for them. (Another professor's exam, confidential letter, or grades might be in the output tray as well!)

Pioneer One-Card (Identification)

The Pioneer One-Card (P-Card) is the campus ID system that provides access to many services at Grinnell College. If you have not yet had your picture taken, call the office at x3661 and set up a time.


Recycled paper is divided into white, colored, newspapers and cardboard. There are small plastic stacking bins located in various places in each building. Check with your academic support assistant for the one located nearest to you.


You may purchase supplies from the Bookshop and charge them to your department. Tell the cashier which department and sign the charge form.


Information about telephone and voice mail use can be found in the Faculty/Staff Directory, or can be provided by your academic support assistant. Voice mail is available for your use, or your phone can be set to forward to your academic support office after 4 rings if you would prefer. These options can be discussed with support assistants. Please advise academic support assistants if you plan to be absent for a period of time.

Long Distance Calls
To make long distance calls, you need to obtain an access code from ITS (641-269-4901). To make an off campus call, first dial 7. To make a long distance call, dial ##, your access code, 7, the area code (even if the area code is the same as ours), and phone number. Once a month you will receive a bill in which you are to identify your personal charges from business charges. Payment for personal calls is sent to the Treasurer's Office (via campus mail if you like) or to your support assistants' office. You may pay cash or by check made out to Grinnell College.
Voice Mail
Contact ITS (641-269-4901) to set up your voice mailbox. This is an ideal way to get your phone messages directly without running the risk of a message being relayed incorrectly. You also can set up your message to suggest pressing "zero" to transfer to the academic support assistants if the caller prefers.
Telephone Messages
Phone messages for you can be delivered in one of four ways: voice mail, email, a note by your office door, or a note in your box in the academic support office. Let your assistant know which you prefer.
Forwarding Telephone Calls (if you do not use voice mail)
If you absolutely don't want voice mail, then call forwarding is available to you. If you're not in your office or if you're talking on the phone when another person is trying to call, you can have your calls forwarded by ITS 641-269-4901 to your academic support assistants' office. Or if you want to forward all calls, even temporarily, you can program the phone yourself (instructions are in the Faculty/Staff Directory). Another option for temporary forwarding is for the support assistants to do so from their office phones.

Work Requests for Academic Support Assistants

Academic support assistants are there to be helpful. Please don't hesitate to ask them to do work for you! They do their best to prioritize the workload, so please discuss your project needs with them.

Academic Support Assistants

We use cookies to enable essential services and functionality on our site, enhance your user experience, provide a better service through personalized content, collect data on how visitors interact with our site, and enable advertising services.

To accept the use of cookies and continue on to the site, click "I Agree." For more information about our use of cookies and to opt-out of cookies at any time, please refer to our website Privacy Policy.